The White Plains ComicFest is a unique strategy that seeks to reach the many times quiet “geeks”, “nerds”, and young people of the pop culture who feel ignored and left out on the fringes of the popular youth groups. These youth are frequently the subject of ridicule and bullying despite being incredibly talented. The ComicFest taps into these hidden talents and allows them to blossom and find a place of comfort and understanding. The City of White Plains Youth Bureau and the White Plains Public Library are proud to be members of this Coalition and partner with the Galleria at White Plains and the Rise Above Social Issues Foundation to host the growing 7th Annual White Plains ComicFest.
About the White Plains Youth Bureauhttp://whiteplainsyouthbureau.org The White Plains Youth Bureau is a municipal organization whose mission is to provide positive youth development activities during the after-school hours. The White Plains Youth Bureau is the largest youth bureau in the State of New York and offers over 50 programs for youth ages 6 years – 24 years. The majority of the programs are provided free of charge to community residents. The Youth Bureau serves approximately 2,000 youth each day. The White Plains Youth Bureau is the parent organization of the White Plains Cares Coalition and the Coalition for Living Wellness.
About the White Plains Cares Coalitionhttps://whiteplainscarescoalition.com
- “My Brother’s Keeper”, “Step Up for Boys” programs for young men of color
- Aviation Academy for Youth
- “The Nest” Youth Groups
- White Plains Social Justice for Youth Program made of the community Youth Court and the RoseBuds Peer Advocacy Program
- Red Ribbon Week Substance Abuse Prevention Campaign
- “Be The Parent” Positive Parenting Education & Campaign
- Community-wide Bullying Prevention Initiative